Then this morning I made a new recipe called Cinnamon Breakfast Biscuits (Combine 1 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup wheat bran [I used wheat flour], 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 Tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter. Stir in 2/3 cup milk and 1/2 cup dried fruit [I used raisins] just until moistened. Kneed dough in the bowl until dough is smooth. Roll out until 1/2" thick and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 450 deg F. Remove and cool on wire rack. Drizzle with sugar glaze made from mixing 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons milk.)
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Life Lessons from Recent experiences in cooking
So...I'm one of those philisophical types who tries to see a metaphor in everything. Yesterday for breakfast I made a puffy pancake (Melt 1/3 cup butter in 9x13" glass pan at 400degF. Beat 4 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour and 1/4 teaspon salt and pour into 9x13. Bake for ~20 min. Cut and serve hot with powdered suger, maple syrup, lemon curd, or whatever you like). It is one of my favorites to make because it has lots of eggs, and I can't get Shannon to eat eggs any other way. However yesterday they didn't taste right. I finally realized that I had neglected to add the salt, so the flavor was similar to eating a plastic bag (don't ask how I know). The life lesson here is that no matter how much we simplify or no matter how repetitive the task I still must pay attention and focus on the details for things to turn out right. Also, since I left out the salt, it reminds me of that phrase in the Bible that we are the salt of the earth. Salt is an important part of many reciepies because without it the flavors just don't come out right.
Then this morning I made a new recipe called Cinnamon Breakfast Biscuits (Combine 1 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup wheat bran [I used wheat flour], 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 Tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter. Stir in 2/3 cup milk and 1/2 cup dried fruit [I used raisins] just until moistened. Kneed dough in the bowl until dough is smooth. Roll out until 1/2" thick and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 450 deg F. Remove and cool on wire rack. Drizzle with sugar glaze made from mixing 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons milk.)
Since my sister just got engaged, I was comparing this breakfast to our relationships (watch out this could get pretty cheesy). Anyway, over the 5 years of marriage that I've experienced there have been some lumps (raisins) some happy (sugar) lots of normal (flour) and as we've been put through the fire we grow and eventually we'll experience the kind of love that lasts forever. Congratulations to Jalayne and Luke and wish them all the best as they enter this new phase in their lives!
Then this morning I made a new recipe called Cinnamon Breakfast Biscuits (Combine 1 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup wheat bran [I used wheat flour], 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 Tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter. Stir in 2/3 cup milk and 1/2 cup dried fruit [I used raisins] just until moistened. Kneed dough in the bowl until dough is smooth. Roll out until 1/2" thick and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 450 deg F. Remove and cool on wire rack. Drizzle with sugar glaze made from mixing 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons milk.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I didn't know you guys had a blog! I am subscribing to it right now:) Guess what we had for breakfast yesterday? Exactly the same thing as you! It's our Saturday morning tradition! Now I'm off to explore your archives :)
Post a Comment